- The Science Behind PE Wicker Staying Cool
- The Downsides of Hot Outdoor Furniture
- The Many Benefits of PE Wicker's Coolness
- The Draw of PE Wicker Beyond Its Cool Factor
Outdoor living spaces have become hugely popular hangout spots. However, enjoying a patio or deck on a hot, sunny day can be a challenge if your furniture absorbs heat. That's why PE (polyethylene) wicker has emerged as such a great choice. Its plastic composition makes it way cooler than other outdoor furniture materials. Let's look at why PE wicker doesn't get scorching hot.
The Science Behind PE Wicker Staying Cool
What makes PE wicker uniquely good at staying cool? It all comes down to its chemical makeup. PE wicker is produced from polyethylene plastic, which has some neat properties that reflect sunlight and prevent heat transfer.
For one, polyethylene has a high albedo. This just means it is really reflective. When the sun's rays hit PE wicker, its light color bounces much of that radiation away rather than soaking it up as heat energy. Materials like wood, natural wicker, and darker-colored fabrics absorb way more solar radiation, converting it into heat.
Polyethylene also has super low thermal conductivity. In simple terms, this means it does not pass on heat easily. So even if PE wicker soaks up a small amount of warmth, that heat does not rapidly transfer through the material. Metals, on the other hand, have high thermal conductivity, which is why metal chairs become burning hot under sunlight.
The bottom line is that PE wicker's molecular structure, reflectiveness, and resistance to heat transfer allow it to stay remarkably cool next to other outdoor furniture in sunny conditions. While natural wicker, wood, and metal absorb heat, PE wicker is bouncing away sunlight thanks to its plastic makeup.
The Downsides of Hot Outdoor Furniture
Outdoor furniture that gets blistering hot in the sun may seem harmless, but dealing with scalding temperatures can actually cause problems. There are some major downsides:
- Burn risks - Touching piping hot surfaces can cause pain, blisters, or irritation - no fun. PE wicker's cool-to-the-touch texture avoids safety risks.
- Discomfort - Attempting to sit and relax on burning-hot chairs or benches is a bust. It just feels unpleasant. You find yourself perched barely on the edge or searching for shade.
- More heat - All that absorbed warmth also bounces back into your home or patio space, making indoor and outdoor zones warmer overall. By reflecting sunlight, PE wicker prevents excess heat.
- Wasted space - When furniture gets too hot to use, it renders outdoor living areas useless during large parts of the day. PE wicker makes spaces enjoyable for longer.
The Many Benefits of PE Wicker's Coolness
Because PE wicker reflects sunlight instead of soaking it up, this fan-favorite material offers some fabulous advantages:
- Comfortable seating - You can kick back and relax on PE wicker without getting roasted on sweltering hot days. Say goodbye to awkward positions and seat-edge perching.
- Cooler temps - With way less heat absorption, PE wicker feels awesome to the touch, reducing risks of burns and skin irritation.
- Enjoy outdoors longer - Lounge, dine, play, or work outside for extended time without taking frustrating heat breaks.
- Promotes relaxation - Comfy, chill seating enables your mind and body to unwind more fully outdoors.
- Social living spaces - With seats that stay cooler, it's easier to hang with friends and family in your outdoor area for hours of fun.
- Usability - PE wicker makes outdoor spaces pleasant to use for many more hours per day, maximizing your investment.
Thanks to its excellent reflective properties, PE wicker allows you to actually use and enjoy your deck, patio, or yard for longer periods on hot, sunny days.
The Draw of PE Wicker Beyond Its Cool Factor
Aside from its genius ability to stay cooler, there are other reasons PE wicker is surging in popularity:
- Stylish designs - Available in a variety of chic, modern weave patterns and styles that elevate any outdoor decor.
- Durability - Stands up to sun, rain, salt, and humidity thanks to its resilient plastic fibers. Looks new for years.
- Low maintenance - Requires minimal upkeep compared to natural wicker. An occasional hose-down keeps it looking fresh.
- Customizable - Complement any color scheme by pairing PE wicker with tons of cushion shades.
When it comes to staying cool under the blazing sun, PE wicker has emerged as the MVP outdoor furniture material. Thanks to its woven polyethylene composition, exceptional reflectiveness, and resistance to heat transfer, PE wicker bounces away sunlight rather than soaking it up as warmth like other materials. This keeps seating and surface temperatures noticeably cooler compared to wood, metal, natural wicker, and other options.
With its durable, low-maintenance composition, customizable styling, and inherent talent for staying cool, PE wicker is the ultimate choice for chilling out comfortably in outdoor spaces.